US special envoy reports Turkish war crimes to Congress as Trump says: Let someone else fight over this long-bloodstained sand
Donald Trump has announced that the US will lift sanctions on Turkey, taking credit for a ceasefire deal that should end Ankaras attack on Kurdish-led forces at the price of ending the Kurds dream of local autonomy.
The US president, who has come under withering criticism for abruptly withdrawing US troops and paving the way for a deadly Turkish offensive against the Kurds said on Wednesday that a small number of US troops would remain in Syrias oilfields.
In a televised address on Wednesday, Trump emphasized that US troops were safe and said America would leave other powers to fight each other in the region.
He added: Let someone else fight over this long-bloodstained sand.
Wednesdays announcement came as Russian troops expanded their presence across north-eastern Syria, the result of an agreement between Ankara and Moscow.
Just a week ago, Trump announced a series of financial punishments on Ankara including the reimposition of 50% tariffs on Turkish steel after Turkey launched its attack on Kurdish-led forces in north-eastern Syria.
That offensive began hours after a phone call between Trump and Recep Tayyip Erdoan in which the Turkish president, informed Trump of his plans, and understood the US president to give a green light.
The government of Turkey informed my administration that they would be stopping combat and their offensive in Syria, and making the ceasefire permanent, Trump said.
I have, therefore, instructed the secretary of the Treasury to lift all sanctions imposed October 14, he added.
How many Americans must die in the Middle East in the midst of these ancient sectarian and tribal conflicts? Trump said. I am committed to pursuing a different course, one that leads to victory for America.
Some troops would remain in Syrias oilfields, Trump said. We have secured the oil and, therefore, a small number of US troops will remain in the area where they have the oil.
As Trump was speaking, his special envoy for Syria, James Jeffrey, told the US Congress that American forces had seen several incidents of what we consider war crimes by Turkish forces, during the recent attack on the Kurds.
Jeffrey also said that over 100 Islamic State prisoners had escaped during the Turkish offensive and we do not know where they are.
Earlier on Wednesday, Syrian and Russian media showed footage of Russian military police vehicles on the outskirts of the important towns of Manbij and Kobani, one day after Erdoan, met Vladimir Putin in Sochi.
A statement carried on Russias Interfax agency said Russian patrols had already begun inside Manbij, a town that until two weeks ago was a key US base in the region.
The deal was hailed as a big success by Trump, although his critics say it cements Russias role as prime powerbroker in the Middle East.
In an earlier tweet, the US president claimed the Kurds were safe and Isis prisoners secured.
Turkish troops, allied Syrian rebel proxies, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and soldiers belonging to the Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad, are now all present in the border zone, with Russia the only negotiating force between them.
The talks on Tuesday between Erdoan and the Russian president defined the contours of Turkeys long-proposed border safe zone: Turkish troops in the area seized since the offensive began on 9 October will remain in situ, and Russian soldiers and the Syrian army will control the rest of the frontier.
Moscow and Damascus will supervise the removal of Kurdish fighters and weaponry to the depth of 18 miles (29km) from their current positions on the border before 26 October, after which joint Russian-Turkish patrols will begin across the entire border area to a depth of six miles, with the exception of the de facto Kurdish capital, Qamishli.
On Wednesday, the Russian ministry of defence published a map showing 15 planned border observation posts that will be manned by the Syrian regime.
The deal in effect redraws the map of northern Syria and ends five years of semi-autonomy carved out by the local Kurdish administration and its military forces, after Kurdish officials reached an agreement with Assad, their former enemy, for military reinforcements to fend off the Turkish attack.
However, the fate of local military councils set up by the SDF in border towns previously under their control and what happens to the SDFs non-Kurdish units remains unclear. The SDF and Kurdish politicians are yet to comment on the Sochi deal.
It is believed they will retain control of the approximately 90,000 men, women and children with links to Islamic State being held in Kurdish-run prisons and detention camps.
Turkish officials including Erdoan threatened on Wednesday that Ankara would resume the offensive if neither Russia nor the US guaranteed the total withdrawal of Kurdish fighters from the border region.
Ankara says the YPG is indistinguishable from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers party (PKK), which has waged an insurgency against the Turkish state for decades. Erdoan said Putin responded by saying he would not let that happen.
Erdoan is scheduled to visit the White House next month.
At least 120 Syrians have died and 176,000 people have fled their homes over the last two weeks of violence, with 20 Turkish civilian deaths on the other side of the border.